Is there a hot brunch spot anywhere in the world that doesn't have avocado smash on the menu? We think not and for good reason – this super easy dish can be dressed up so many ways, but is delicious by itself smothered on toast. So, if you are wondering what to make for breakfast or brunch today, start with this simple recipe then read on to see the best ways to enjoy smashed avocado below.
We feel a bit silly calling it a recipe as it is almost too easy to make to warrant that. However, there is a bit more to it then mashing up an avocado as the success is all in the seasoning and amount of lemon and lime juice you use. After eating umpteen slices of avocado toast though, we have sussed out the perfect ratios. You can scale this recipe up or down depending on how many people you are serving, but the rule of thumb is half a lime or lemon of juice for every avocado.
Don't know how much avocado to use per person? Avocados are full of healthy fat, making them super nutritious but obviously quite calorific. If your breakfast is just avocado on toast then a whole avocado and a round of toast will set you up perfectly for the day, coming in at around 500 calories depending on your choice of bread (the average avocado is just over 300 calories). If you are enjoying it with perhaps an egg (or two), a slice of bacon or a sprinkle of feta – or even as a side to a cooked breakfast – half an avocado will do just fine.
Tasty, healthy breakfast is just minutes away, but for more ideas head to our food hub.
How to make avocado smash
For two pieces of avocado toast:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 lime or lemon
- Salt, pinch
- Pepper, pinch
- Olive oil, drizzle
Optional (but very tasty) extras:
- Half a garlic clove, minced/ or a pinch of garlic granules
- Chilli flakes, pinch
1. Take a ripe avocado (a ripe avocado has some give when squeezed and the stalk should come out easily) and carefully run a knife around the centre to cut it in half vertically.
2. Pull the avocado apart and use a spoon to separate the skin from the flesh. To remove the stone, cut that half into quarters longways (around the stone) and then you should be able to easily pull them off, or use a spoon to ease the stone away. Put the avocado flesh in a bowl.
3. Roll the lemon or lime between your hands – this helps release the juice – then cut in half. Squeeze the juice of one half into the bowl over the avocado, making sure to catch any pips with your hand.
4. Use a fork to mash the avocado to your desired texture. Mix so that the lemon/lime juice is well distributed then add a drizzle of olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. At this stage you can add any extras you like, be it chilli flakes for a kick, and garlic for added flavour.
6. Spread on hot toast – we recommend sourdough – or heap on the side of your full English.
Best avocado smash serving ideas
- Top with a poached egg
- Sprinkle with feta and onion seeds
- Serve with a slice or two of smoked salmon
- Make a quick tomato salsa with red onion, quartered cherry tomatoes, chilli and a tablespoon of chopped coriander and serve that on top
- Turn your avocado smash into guacamole by adding finely chopped red onion, half a red chilli (minced), chopped cherry tomatoes, garlic and chopped coriander leaf
- For a filling and protein-packed vegan breakfast, top with your favourite toasted nuts and seeds – we like a mix of pumpkin, sunflower, black sesame and pine nuts