Like the idea of serving a dessert at the weekend? A fruit pie always looks great when it‘s brought to the table, and this blueberry pie will definitely impress your diners.
And while it may be a treat, this pie scores points for another reason. Blueberries are a very healthy choice because they’re packed with antioxidants, high in potassium and vitamin C, and anti-inflammatory, which is all good news.
Blueberry pie is popular in the USA and Canada, where the berries are native – but they're easy to come by wherever you are. You can discover how to make this tasty dessert below, and for more recipe ideas and inspiration, visit our food hub.
- Special thanks to Aldi for sharing this recipe with us
Treating everyone to blueberry pie? You will need:
- 375g ready rolled shortcrust pastry
- 500g blueberries
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 heaped tbsp cornflour
- 1 medium egg
1. Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF/GM5.
2. Take a 24cm diameter pie dish and roll out the pastry to fit. Cut into a circle, setting aside remaining pastry pieces, then line the dish with the pastry and crimp the edge.
3. Put the blueberries into a large bowl and add the lemon juice and zest, sugar and the cornflour. Stir to combine thoroughly, and place on top of the pasty, spreading out evenly.
4. Use the pastry offcuts to decorate the top of the pie. Brush the pastry with the beaten egg, then bake in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes until the pastry is golden and the blueberries are cooked and set.
Tip: Serve slices with vanilla ice cream, or try them with a dollop of crème fraîche for a less sweet alternative. They’re both delicious.
- Pumpkin pie recipe: it's the easiest, tastiest recipe ever!