Always wondered if homemade chips can rival chip shop-bought ones? The short answer is: 'oh yes, they can'. This recipe makes delectable chips that taste better than shop-bought ones, and are slightly healthier, too, thanks to the fact that they're baked rather than deep-fried.
For more delicious recipes, visit our hub page.
- Don't want to oven bake your chips? Try an air fryer
Homemade chips in the oven – recipe
To make the tastiest oven baked chips for two, you'll need:
- Maris Piper potatoes, 500 grams
- Sunflower oil or animal fat, e.g. duck fat, 200 ml
- Salt, to taste
1. Wash and chop the potatoes into wedges. Simply cut them in half and then chop up each half into multiple wedges lengthwise. Skin-on is best.
2. Place the wedges upright in a microwave-safe bowl and cook on high for five minutes. Take them out and shake them to make sure they haven't stuck together. Cook for a further two minutes.
3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
4. Scatter the microwaved potato wedges over a sheet of baking foil placed in a baking tray. Season well with salt and cover generously with oil or fat. Bake for 30-40 minutes, depending on how crisp you like them.
Serve with fish/steak and your favourite dip.
Top tip: We like to add a bit of spice to our homemade chips by sprinkling chilli flakes over the chips before putting them in the oven. We love serving them with garlic mayo as a dip, too.