Looking for fresh ideas for a weekend brunch? Then have we got a treat for you. Corn fritters are a fave in Australia, and we reckon they should be on the menu here as well.
How to make them? We came across this great recipe, tried it, and it’s a big thumbs up from us. You’ll probably have a lot of what you need to make it already in your kitchen, with just a few fresh ingredients to shop for.
Discover the recipe, which feeds four and takes 25 minutes to make, below. Don’t forget to visit our food hub for more delicious recipes and inspiration for brunch, and every other meal, too.
- Special thanks to Lidl for sharing this recipe with us
Corn fritters with avocado dip
Serving up corn fritters with avocado dip? You will need:
For the fritters:
- 140g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 free-range eggs
- 30ml milk
- A tub of sour cream and chive dip
- 340g tin of sweetcorn, drained
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- Half a pack coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
For the dip:
- 2 avocados, stoned and roughly chopped
- 100g Greek yoghurt
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Half a pack of coriander, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Make the dip first. Put the avocado, yoghurt, chilli, lime juice and coriander into a blender and whizz until smooth. Season to taste. Set aside.
2. Make the fritters. Sift the flour, baking powder and half a teaspoon of salt into a mixing bowl, stirring to combine. Beat the eggs with the milk plus 80g of the sour cream and chive dip. Next, whisk the egg mixture into the flour until it forms a smooth batter. Add the sweetcorn, spring onions, chilli and coriander and stir through the batter.
3. To cook the fritters, add the oil to a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Ladle out a tablespoon of batter for each fritter, and flatten to a 10cm diameter round. Fry each for two to three minutes on each side. They should be golden. Set aside the cooked fritters and keep them warm until you’ve used up all the batter.
4. To serve, set out the fritters on a plate along with the avocado dip and the remaining sour cream and chive dip.
Tip: The plates will look great with a deseeded and chopped red chilli sprinkled over the fritters. You might like to add a green salad, too, for a fresh contrast to the fritters.