Interested in the whole overnight oats hoo har that's going around but not entirely sure what it's about? In a nutshell, overnight oats are rolled oats that have been soaked in your milk of choice, – overnight and in the fridge – which in essence cooks them, deliciously so. In our opinion, they're possibly the most underrated breakfast of all time. Why? They're so simple to prepare, they cost nada and they will keep you fuller for longer than any breakfast bar or slice of toast would do. As luck would have it, we've got a few overnight oat recipes below to jazz up your mornings – you should try them.
Check out our food hub for more recipes, advice and inspo.
Basic overnight oats:
- 1/2 cup part rolled oats (buy these sans gluten if you’re coeliac)
- 1/2 cup part milk (all types of milk work)
- 3/4 tbsp chia seeds (optional but we highly recommend)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup/honey/sweetener of choice
- Find a jar that won't leak – this is important if you're taking your overnight oats to eat on-the-go. You could re-use an old jam jar or peanut butter jar, for instance.
- Measure your oats and pop them inside the jar.
- Add your milk.
- Add your toppings.
- Pop in the fridge overnight.
- Grab a spoon and enjoy! You can also heat them up if you like...
So, there you have it – your own overnight oats! Don't forget to jazz up your breakfast using the advice below. Overnight oats with apple and cinnamon are our faaaave.
Overnight oats with peanut butter
- Extra jar ingredients: 1–2 tbsp crunchy (for texture) peanut butter
- Extra toppings: sliced banana and blueberries/raspberries
Overnight oats with yoghurt
- Extra jar ingredients: 1–2 tbsp yoghurt (plant-based yoghurt works exceptionally well, we love coconut)
- Extra toppings: any type of fruit inc. dried
Overnight oats with apple and cinnamon
- Extra jar ingredients: 1/2 cup grated apple + a sprinkling of cinnamon
- Extra toppings: a little yoghurt + extra drizzle of honey and sprinkling of cinnamon
Cherry Bakewell overnight oats
- Extra jar ingredients: 1/2 tablespoon ground almonds (or swap your milk for almond milk) + a swirl of almond butter/2 drops almond essence
- Extra toppings: 2–3 cherries, a sprinkle of toasted almond flakes
Carrot cake overnight oats
- Extra jar ingredients: 1 tsp cinnamon + 1 heaped tbsp grated carrot + drop of vanilla essence + handful of raisins or sultanas
- Extra toppings: chopped walnuts or pecans
Protein rich overnight oats
Not just for bodybuilders, these are sure to keep you going!
- Extra jar ingredients: 1 – 2 tbsp vanilla or other flavoured protein powder of your choice + 1 tbsp chia seeds + 1/2 tsp vanilla extract + 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Extra toppings: peanut or almond butter and any berry that you'd like