I live just outside the city, and by that, I mean that my apartment is close enough to get where I need within 20 minutes, but not too close that I am kept awake at night by the noise. The dream situ IMO because yes, I am a seriously light sleeper, which is why I was very happy to try a white noise machine. That and I am expecting a small human towards the end of this year, and I have had so many parents tell me to invest in a good white noise machine. Now, I can't comment about how handy it is with a baby (yet), but I will say that before the baby has even arrived I am totally convinced. So much so that I now own three (two of which are portable) because a bit like my pregnancy pillow, I need to take this thing everywhere with me. IYKYK.
Rated Amazon's Choice of white noise machines, the Dreamegg D1 truly is a game changer, whether you are a parent, parent-to-be, or not. Take it from me, someone who isn't a very good sleeper and hasn't been for years, this Dreamegg white noise machine has transformed the way I sleep. It has undoubtedly made early mornings a lot easier. And I always wake feeling well-rested when I use it overnight. Both my husband and I agree that we notice the difference in how we feel in the morning when we forget to turn it on.
Here's how I got on with testing this white noise machine, which I have been using for almost a month now to lull me to sleep. Spoiler alert: I also love the thunderstorm sound as it truly gets me to sleep in minutes. And waking up hearing this sound during the early hours of the morning makes it so easy for me to fall back into dreamland.
What I thought of this Dreamegg white noise machine
Let's keep this short and sweet — I'm guessing that because you are here, you are looking to buy a white noise machine. If you've tried everything to upgrade your sleep, from buying a new mattress in a box to switching out your pillows, then this would be a smart next step. Honestly, this might be your favorite purchase of the year.
Depending on what specifics you are after, the Dreamegg D1 is probably perfect. It's nice and compact for starters — I have a teeny tiny nightstand and it fits perfectly. Then, there's the fact it's very easy to use as the buttons are self-explanatory. It has timer settings so that you can fall asleep with no worries, and if you are trying to drown out city traffic or dorm noise, its volume goes up super loud. Not only that, but it's super affordable at less than $50 — and that's when it's not on sale. Even better? It's probably one of the only white noise machines I found when researching that isn't an eyesore or huge. This was a big necessity for me as I fear that my boho-Scandi vibe might be slightly ruined with the abundance of colorful baby toys, without throwing a white noise machine into this mix.
The only thing I can possibly complain about is the fact it doesn't have a remote, but honestly, that's just because I am lazy (and quite pregnant) and it sits on my husband's nightstand so I have to lean across to switch it off if we forget to set it on a timer. Otherwise, do note that its light isn't super bright. You couldn't use it for reading but it would guide you back to your bed from the bathroom. I also have a nightstand lamp so this isn't a huge issue for me. You also can't use the light unless the noise is on.
Dreamegg D1 info
Size (in.): L4.1 x W4.1 x H2.5
Weight: 1.19 lbs
Colors: White, Navy
Power: AC, USB
Sounds: 7 fan; 7 white noise; 10 relaxing
Timer settings: 30 mins; 60 mins; 90 mins
What I love about this Dreamegg white noise machine
- It's so easy to use — I am not about the faff. I remember at one time, I truly thought everything needed to be smart and have every function under the sun. But now I am so much more considered with my purchases and I will think about whether I really need the latest piece of tech or the smartest gadget. This machine is so easy to use with intuitive buttons that are clearly labeled.
- You can set timers — We tried not setting timers for a couple of nights, but I really didn't like waking up to the noise of this machine at 7 am. It reminds me of sleeping so it wasn't the most motivation when it comes to getting out of bed for the day. So being able to set a timer is a total game-changer.
- My dog loves it — Weird flex IK, but we're all obsessed with our pets, right? Well, mine sleeps in my bedroom (okay, sometimes on my bed, I admit it) and since using this machine he has been out like a light. He's a proper snorer but will wake at the slightest sound and bark to alert us. And while he will still wake at loud noises, he recognizes when it's sleep time thanks to this white noise machine. He even stays snoozing when I wake up in the night to empty my tiny bladder (several times, TY baby!).
- You can use it with headphones — If you have roommates or live in a shared dorm, then you might want to keep the benefits of this machine to yourself, especially if your roomies aren't on the hype. You can use this machine with headphones making it much safer to use than your iPhone underneath your pillow (defo don't do that).
- It has so many noises to choose from — We've been working our way through all of them and we each get to veto other ones we're not a fan of. For me, I really dislike the fan noises as it reminds me of being in an office too much. But my husband loves them and whenever I am out of town he'll always use them. It has a lullaby sound for when the baby is here which we're excited to use, otherwise, we mostly use the general white noise sound or the thunderstorm sound. So peaceful.
- It's small and lightweight — We have limited space on our nightstands as they are floating ones and we each have a bouquet of dried flowers on there from our wedding, too. So one of my must-haves with a white noise machine was for it to be small. This one is just four inches wide and it's so light. I can take it from room to room and I could even take it on vacation, but I do have two portable ones for that purpose so I won't need to do that after all.
- It's actually quite nice looking — This white noise machine passes the vibe check in our bedroom. It also comes in navy but we chose white as our nightstands are that color. Its buttons aren't bulky and its plug is nice and long. It also works with a USB connection in case you lose its charger. TBH: We haven't unplugged it since we first started using it.
- It's SO affordable — I really cannot believe this white noise machine costs less than $50. It's quite a detailed machine with lots of functions and the fact you can grab it from Amazon means you can also get free and fast shipping.
What I didn't love about this Dreamegg white noise machine
- It doesn't come with a remote — This is me being really picky because it usually sits on my husband's nightstand and sometimes he forgets to set it on a timer. It would still, admittedly, be good though if it came with some sort of remote to control it from afar.
- Its light isn't super bright — The yellow light that wraps itself around this machine isn't the brightest. It won't replace your bedroom lamp or nightstand light, and it definitely isn't bright enough for reading. Just an FYI!
- You can't use the light without the noise — If you did want to turn the light on during the night to guide your path to go the bathroom, you will also need to turn the noise back on. You can turn the volume all the way down but you need the noise to be on to use the light.
How to use this Dreamegg white noise machine
As I've already mentioned, this white noise machine is so easy to use. It has eight buttons in total. Starting from the middle button and going clockwise, here's what they do:
- Sunshine button — Turns on the light. Press it once for the yellow light to stay on, press it again and the light will turn on and off intermittently. Press it a third time and it will turn off. You can't use the light feature without the sound being on.
- Power button — Press this to turn the machine on or off.
- Volume up button — Keep pressing this button to turn the volume up. I used a decibel monitor on my phone to record its highest volume on the first white noise sound. It was hitting the 78 and 79 mark at the highest volume.
- Lines button — Press this for white noise. Keep on pressing to change the sound between seven different options.
- Music note button — Press this to change between musical sounds, from lullabies to rainforest noise and thunderstorms. There are 10 sounds to choose from.
- Fan button — Press this to change between seven fan noises.
- Volume down button — Keep pressing to turn the volume down. At its quietest, you have to really think about it to hear the noise.
- Timer button — Press this and you'll see a light illuminate to signify how long the timer has been set. Press once for 30 minutes, twice for 60 minutes, and three times for 90 minutes.
Where to buy the Dreamegg D1
How we reviewed this Dreamegg white noise machine
I reviewed this white noise machine for just under a month, using it in my bedroom to help my husband and me get to sleep. We used it most nights we were at home during that period, changing the sounds that we used and trying all of its features. This is my first white noise machine review, so admittedly I don't have anything to compare this device to. However, I did conduct a bunch of research before writing and made sure to compare it to other popular models when it comes to functions and price tag.
As with everything we review, we make sure to pair our reviewer and the product we need to review to ensure these two factors will suit. I reviewed this white noise machine as it's said to be great for babies, and I have a baby on the way. It's also small and that's what I needed for my small nightstand.