It's flippin' Pancake Day! We're not sure about you, but it certainly crêped up on us. And now we're rabidly on the hunt for pancake recipes, or more specifically, pancake recipes with Nutella. Now putting all terrible pancake puns aside, we're being totally truthful when we say that a jar of Nutella is purchased every 2.5 seconds, every Pancake Day. Now that's a lot of chocolate...
According to the research conducted by Nutella (we'd love to know whose job that is) only semi-skimmed milk outsells Nutella in UK stores on Pancake Day itself, while the three weeks beforehand account for nearly 20% of the much-loved brand’s annual sales.
But is Nutella the best topping around? Or are you a berry compote kinda person? A peanut butter and ice cream kinda person? Or do you keep things super simple with good, old fashioned lemon and sugar? We'd like to know!
And according to Nutella, Brits are in good company, with the amount of Nutella produced for international consumption outweighing the total weight of the Empire State Building. And, enough to circle the world 1.8 times.
James Stewart, Marketing Director at Nutella UK comments: 'We know how much Brits love Nutella, and every year on Pancake Day we love to see the inventive recipes our fans post on social media. To inspire pancake-lovers across the nation, we have rounded up some of our favourite recipes. From crepe skewers to fluffy buttermilk pancakes - each topped with a heaped teaspoon (15g) of Nutella - there is something for every Nutella fan to enjoy this Pancake Day.'
Here are our Nutella recipes:
Crepe skewers with Nutella
1. Pour the milk and flour into a bowl. Mix the eggs with the melted butter into another bowl, then mix the contents of the two bowls together.
2. Let the batter rest at room temperature for 15 minutes.
3. Heat up oil in a pan, then pour batter to make crepes that are 1cm thin and 25 in diameter. Cook on both sides until they turn an even, golden colour.
4. Spread a teaspoon of Nutella onto each crepe. Roll the crepes and cut them into rolls of approx. 2cm.
5. Take a wooden skewer and alternately add pieces of fruit and crepe rolls
Fluffy buttermilk pancakes with Nutella, mango and raspberries
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 ½ tbsp. caster sugar
- 360ml buttermilk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- A pinch of salt
- Butter for cooking
- A teaspoon (15g) of Nutella per serving
- Raspberries and fresh mango to serve
1. Sift flour, baking powder and caster sugar into a bowl.
2. Separate the eggs and mix the yolks with buttermilk, then add this mixture to the dry ingredients.
3. Whisk the egg whites then fold these into the batter.
4. Rest the batter for 10 minutes.
5. Heat butter in a pan, then cook each pancake for around 1 minutes or until small bubbles appear on the surface.
6. Turn over and cook each pancake for a further 30 seconds, until golden and thoroughly cooked.
7. Top with raspberries, sliced mango and a teaspoon (15g) of Nutella per person.