If you've never tried savoury pancakes before, we're about to change your life. We reckon a great brunch needs to be filling as well as tasty to be worthy of the name, and so we were delighted to find this recipe, which is a savoury take on our original pancake recipe.
This savoury pancake recipe will feed a household of four and leave everyone feeling as if they’ve eaten well. It’s a treat for the tastebuds, combining scrambled eggs, ham and cream cheese in the centre of the pancakes. Yum.
Find the full recipe below and take a look at our food hub for more top recipe ideas and inspiration.
- Special thanks to Aldi for sharing this recipe with us
For the pancakes:
- 100g plain flour
- 2 large eggs
- 300ml milk
- 10g fresh chives, chopped
- A little sunflower oil
For the filling
- 200g plain soft cheese
- 8 slices honey roast ham
- 6 large eggs
- 40ml single cream
- 25g butter
- Salt and black pepper
1. Make the pancakes first. Put the flour and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl.
2. Break the eggs and add to the milk in a measuring jug and beat to combine.
3. To combine the egg mixture with the flour, make a well in the centre and add slowly. Beat as you go until the batter is smooth. Add the chopped chives and mix in.
4. Put a little oil into a 25cm frying pan and use the mixture to make eight pancakes. Set aside to cool.
5. Divide the cream cheese between the pancakes, spreading it over the top of each. Place a slice of ham on top of each.
6. To make the rest of the filling, crack six eggs into a mixing bowl and beat lightly with the cream. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Add the butter to a medium-sized saucepan and allow to melt over a gentle heat.
8. Put the beaten egg mixture into the saucepan, stirring continuously until cooked and fluffy in texture.
9. Divide the scrambled egg between the pancakes, putting it into the centre. Carefully roll up each pancake and place on a baking tray.
10. Put the rolled pancakes into the oven for six minutes to warm through then divide between four plates to serve.