Want to know how to make cauliflower rice? A great alternative to rice, cous cous, quinoa and other grains, cauliflower can be transformed into 'rice' with ease, for a lighter option that allows you to increase your veg intake with minimal effort. And it will be ready is less than 10 minutes, including preparation, which will require either a box grater or a food processor. Serve plain, as a side to curry, casserole and other dishes with a rich sauce. Or, season well as part of a fried 'rice,' dish, stir-fry or as an accompaniment to chicken.
How to make cauliflower rice
- Cauliflower (one cauliflower head should make six to eight portions)
- Olive oil or butter
- Salt and pepper
- Remove any leaves from your cauliflower and give it a good scrub under cold water.
- Roughly cut your cauliflower into chunks. If the stem of your cauliflower is relatively soft, this can also be used to reduce food waste.
- If you're using a box grater to prepare your rice, begin grating your cauliflower to achieve rice-sized pieces. If you're using a food processor, you'll want to ensure the cauliflower is broken down to small enough pieces – this may require processing the cauliflower in batches.
- To make your cauliflower rice extra fluffy, we'd advise using kitchen roll, or a clean kitchen towel to remove any excess water. If you're short for time, this step is not essential.
- Warm a small amount of olive oil, or butter, depending on your preference, in a skillet and warm to a medium heat.
- Add you cauliflower rice to the skillet, season, and cook for five to eight minutes.
Cauliflower rice recipes
Want inspiration for dishes that use cauliflower rice as a base? Here are some of our favourites:
- Mediterranean inspired cauliflower rice – add toasted almonds, parsley, black olives, lemon juice and plenty of seasoning
- Cauliflower fried 'rice' – soften diced mixed peppers, onion, peas, carrot and spring onion, before adding your cauliflower rice. Stir through whisked eggs and season with plenty of soy sauce
How to store cauliflower rice
Preparing cauliflower rice in bulk? We'd recommend freezing uncooked cauliflower rice immediately – you can store for up to one month. Cooked cauliflower rice can be stored in the fridge for up to four days in an airtight container.