Egg in a hole is a new one on us! But when the weekend comes round again, and you want a new take on eggs for breakfast, this one's a good one? For so many of us, and we’re definitely including the Real Homes team here, it’s the top choice to start off a Saturday or Sunday.
Our considered opinion as connoisseurs of egg-based breakfasts? Yep, we’ll definitely be including this egg in a hole recipe in our repertoire from now on.
- Special thanks to Lidl for sharing this recipe with us
Egg in a hole
Serving up egg in the hole? You will need:
- 1 slice bread
- A little butter
- 1 free-range egg
- Handful of spinach
- Chilli sauce, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Butter the bread. Use a biscuit cutter to stamp out a circle from the centre of the buttered slice.
2. Put the bread, butter side down, into a frying pan over a medium heat. Break the egg into the hole, then cover the saucepan with its lid and cook for a minute or two. Meanwhile, heat the grill to medium hot.
3. Uncover the pan and place under the grill until the bread is toasted and the egg white is cooked.
4. While the egg is cooking, put the spinach into a saucepan with just a little water and heat until it’s wilted.
5. Slide the egg toast on to a serving plate, along with the spinach. Add as much chilli sauce as you like, and season with black pepper.
Tip: If you’re serving this breakfast up on a special occasion, you can use a different biscuit cutter to suit the day, such as a heart for an anniversary, or a star for a birthday.