Mrs Hinch is the domestic goddess we just can't get enough of and this handy mattress cleaning hack has impressed us as much as the rest of her handy hacks. A smelly mattress is no one's personal preference – nobody likes a smelly mattress and we're firm believers that you've got to squash it the second you smell it!
That's why we were delighted to see Mrs Hinch reveal her secret – and it costs less than a couple of quid. We know what you're thinking... HOW did you not know about this before?! Keep scrolling to find out how Mrs Hinch gets her mattresses looking spick and span with a budget everyday ingredient!
- How to clean a mattress – don't miss our full guide
How to clean a mattress like Mrs Hinch does it
You will need:
- Bicarbonate of soda
- Essential oils
Mrs Hinch disclosed her tricks of the trade on social media to her 3.6 million followers, swearing by the power of bicarbonate of soda (baking soda, as some call it): 'It eats odours, it's an odour eliminator so any odours that may be lingering, it just soaks them up and absorbs them, it just works really really well.'
These are the steps she encouraged us to take...
1. Pop the soda in a sieve and sprinkle it all over the mattress.
2. Leave for an hour or longer – Mrs Hinch revealed that she waits until all of her sheets are washed and dried for maximum results!
3. Next, set your vacuum cleaner to cold so you can remove all of the bicarbonate of soda.
4. Finally, Mrs Hinch adds a drop of lavender oil to her pillows before putting the sheets back onto the mattress and making the bed. This is a fab ingredient for ultimate night-time relaxation but use the essential oil of your choice! Our favourite tried and tested pillow spray is below:
Another option? Buy a mattress protector
They're a sure way to avoid that smelly mattress – get one of our pick of best mattress protectors. Simply pop them in the wash with your bedclothes and your mattress will stay as good as new. These are our favourite finds:
- Best mattress 2020: 11 top mattresses we've tried, tested and reviewed