Want to know how to turn off web notifications? If you've noticed that your web browser has started pushing notifications through to your desktop, this is because you've signed up to receive them at one point or another.
Web notifications can be a really convenient way of keeping up to date with the latest news and deals offers or simply enjoying great quality content. We use them here on RealHomes.com to share things we're excited about with our audience, which shares our love of interiors.
But, we get that sometimes people change their mind about wanting web notifications and that's not a problem. So, we've pulled together a super simple guide to how to turn off web notifications, whether you're using Google Chrome, Safari or Android.
Want to unsubscribe from a particular device? Jump to it:
I don't remember signing up to receive notifications
When visiting a website that offers push notifications, you'll be met with a pop up that asks whether you want to 'allow' or 'block' them. If you're receiving notifications from Real Homes, or any other site, you will have pressed 'allow' at some point in time. This may have been accidental, in which case we'll teach you how to turn them off.
- How to turn off web notifications in Google Chrome
- How to turn off web notifications in Safari
- How to turn off web notifications in Firefox
- How to turn off web notifications on Android
- How to turn off web notifications on iPhone
How to turn off web notifications in Google Chrome
Use the steps below to help you turn off web notifications in Google Chrome. While the process should be fairly simple whether you're working from an Apple Mac, Windows PC or Android phone, the process may look a little different from device-to-device.
- Open Google Chrome
- Locate the button with three vertical dots – this should be on the top right hand side of your screen.
- Select 'Settings' from the drop down.
- On the left hand side of the screen, you should see the 'Advanced' option. Click on this.
- Navigate to 'Privacy and security' option
- Choose 'Site settings' from the list of options
- Navigate to 'Notifications'
- You should find a list of 'blocked' websites and a list of 'allowed' websites. Find the website you'd no longer like to receive notifications from in the 'blocked' list.
- Click the three vertical dots to the right hand side of the website.
- Select 'block.'
How to turn off notifications in Safari
If you tend to use Safari as your search engine, you'll need to adopt a slightly different approach to unsubscribe from notifications. It's super simple though and shouldn't take more than a minute or two.
- Open Safari
- In the top left hand corner of your screen, you should see the word 'Safari,' click this.
- Select 'Preferences' from the list of options
- Then, navigate to 'Websites' – this should be one of the options in the banner running across the top of the window
- Select 'Notifications,' from the list on the left hand side
- Identify the websites you'd like to stop receiving notifications from and change the option from 'allow' to 'deny'.
How to turn off notifications in Firefox
Firefox user who's receiving web notifications? Don't worry, we haven't left you out (even if you are using a super old school browser). Find step-by-step instructions for unsubscribing, below:
- Open Firefox.
- Enter about:preferences#privacy into the URL box.
- Scroll down to 'Permissions'.
- Select 'Notifications'.
- Navigate to the 'Settings' option.
- Here, you will be met with a list of websites that you currently allow to send you notifications. Locate the website you'd like to unsubscribe from.
- You'll notice that its status is 'Allow'. Click this and change the status to 'Block'.
- Makes rue you hit 'Save Changes' at the bottom of the page.
How to turn off web notifications on Android
Receiving web notifications directly to your Android Phone? They can be a super useful way of keeping up with news, deals and other interesting content while you're on the go. But, here's how to turn them off if you've decided they no longer serve you:
- Tap the web notification as seen as you see it in your notification tray.
- This should open up a 'Site Settings' option. Click this.
- Choose 'Clear and Reset'.
- Confirm your reset.
How to turn off web notifications on iPhone
Currently, there is not an option to receive web notifications directly to your iPhone. Should this change in future, we'll be sure to update this section.
Want web notifications back?
If you change your mind and decide you'd actually quite like your web notifications back, simply follow the same steps that we've detailed for unsubscribing. But, instead of removing or blocking the site, you'll need to allow it.