We launched the Real Homes Awards 2020 with a simple mission: to find and name the very best buys for your homes. And now you can vote for your favourite products.
Real Homes is one of the world’s leading homes websites, with millions of monthly users. What are we obsessed with? Everything homes-related. We provide loads of inspiring ideas and practical advice for homeowners and renters, but we also write about, find the best prices for and review hundreds of products for people looking to improve their homes – including everything from slow cookers to washing machines, TVs to smart home buys.
So, why not try to tell you which ones we think are the best for your home? But we can't do that alone – we're asking our readers to vote too. Below, are the entrants, split into their relevant categories. Some are listed more than once, because they fit into more than one category. You can choose which you vote for, where.
How it works
This is our shortlist (below). The editorial team of RealHomes.com and a special panel of industry experts has whittled the long-list down to this list on the basis of experience. We see 100s of products each year so we’re perfectly placed to work out the best ones. Remember, too, that in the course of our work, many of the products being entered will already have been tried, tested and reviewed by our panel members.
To decide on a winner, we are inviting you, our readers, to vote on the ones you’ve used or deem to be the best. This will give a really balanced view and allow us to fairly come up with a winner for each category.
This is our shortlist. We are now asking you to help us narrow it down. Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org to tell us your favourite products – and we'd love to know why you think they deserve the top spot.
Best interiors brand
- deVOL kitchens
- Atkin & Thyme
- Dowsing & Reynolds
- Happy Beds
- REM-fit 600 Lux mattress
- Happy Beds Signature Crystal 3000 Pocket Sprung Orthopedic Natural Fillings mattress
- Simba Sleep Hybrid mattress
- The Topper by Panda
- OTTY Pure Hybrid mattress
Best small kitchen appliance
- KitchenAid Artisan K400 blender
- Hotpoint Supreme Chef multifunction microwave oven
- Bertazzoni F457PROMWTN Professional Series built-in combination microwave oven
- Samsung MW5000T Series microwave oven
- Haier HB18FGSAAA French Door fridge freezer
- Fisher & Paykel Freestanding Quad Door refrigerator freezer
- LG InstaView Door-in-Door fridge freezer
- Bertazzoni bottom mount built-in fridge freezer
- Samsung Family Hub fridge freezer
Best washing machine
- Haier I-Pro Series 7 washing machine
- Fisher & Paykel Front Loader washing machine
- LG F4V909BTS (V Series) washing machine
- Hoover H-WASH 500 14kg washing machine
- Samsung QuickDrive
Best vacuum cleaner
- Roborock S6 Max V robot vacuum
- Roborock H6 robot vacuum
- Shark Anti-Wrap Upright vacuum cleaner
- H-FREE 500 HF522BH
- Samsung POWERstick Jet 90 Pro
Best coffee machine
- Lavazza Desea coffee machine
- Breville Barista Mini coffee machine
- Fisher & Paykel coffee maker
- Cuisinart 1-Cup Filter Grind and Brew Coffee Maker at Wayfair
- Wayfair 2.8L Filter Coffee Machine
Best kitchen assistant
- Hotpoint Slimline Dishwasher with 3D Zone Wash Technology
- Indesit freestanding slimline Push&Go dishwasher
- Bertazzoni Professional Series 60cm built-in oven in matt black
- Hoover H-KEEPHEAT 700 Plus HODP0507BI
Best cleaning product
- Harvey Water Softener HV4
- Roborock H6 robot vacuum
- Blueair Classic 480i air purifier
- Samsung POWERstick Jet 90 Pro
- LG 48in CX OLED TV
- LG 65GX TV
- Samsung 2020 Q950TS Flagship QED 8K HDR Smart TV
Best smart home product
- Tadoº smart thermostat
- Blueair Classic 480i air purifier
- GROHE Sensia Arena shower toilet
- Ring Alarm
- Yale Keyless Lock
Best security camera
- EZVIZ Outdoor Camera
- Kami Wire-Free outdoor camera
- Ring Doorbell 3 Plus
- Ring Indoor Cam
Best garden buy
- Caribbean Blinds UK Ltd Outdoor Living Pod
- Kaia double hammock at Wayfair
- Mayela wooden bench at Wayfair
- Steel Fire Pit at Wayfair
In order to win a Real Homes Award, a product should meet several criteria.
- It needs to offer new and/or unique features that set it apart from its competitors. These features should save time, or solve a particular practical problem.
- Where appropriate, the product should offer greater comfort than its competitors
- Where relevant, the product needs to be durable and well-built. In our Real Homes, our busy lives mean that our homes products get a lot of use, so we need them to last and perform in the long term as well as they did on the first day.
- They need to look great
- They need to be good value for money. We’re not afraid to invest in good quality products that should last, but they need to justify the extra cost.
Public voting until August 31st 2020.
Winners announced September 15th 2020.
How to get in touch
We’re keen to hear your suggestions for products that should appear on our shortlist. So whether you’re representing a product or brand, or whether you’re simply a reader who loves their latest purchase, we’re keen to hear from you. Enter, using the form above. Any problems? Email us at email@example.com.
The judging panel
Lucy Searle, Global Editor-in-Chief, Realhomes.com
Lucy's first job was writing a DIY column for a magazine for the over 50s (which seemed a long way off back then – not so now!). She then moved to a DIY magazine as deputy ed, then freelanced her way around the homes departments of most women's magazines on the market before working on Your Home and Family Circle magazines as homes editor. From there, she went to Ideal Home magazine as associate editor, then launched 4Homes magazine for Channel 4, then the Channel 4 4Homes website, before going back to freelancing and running a social media business. She was tempted back to working for a big publisher by the chance to work with the great team at Realhomes.com... Her expertise? She's revamped, bought and sold eight properties, including one abroad, and in that time has tried, tested and reviewed just about every product sold for homes...
Jason Orme, Managing Director, Home Interest Group
Jason has been working in the homes sector for 20 years, spending much of this time as editor of Homebuilding & Renovating magazine; he also authored The Self Build Dream. In this time, he has built several homes for himself and advised 1,000s of other on the best ways to design and manage their own building projects. He has also worked closely with the government to help shape housing policy.
Beth Murton, Editor, Real Homes magazine
Beth's connection with Real Homes goes back a long way as my her job in magazines was working as a sub-editor for the magazine more than 15 years ago. It cemented her love of all things homes-related and she's never looked back. She's since worked on the launch of 4homes magazine, where Lucy Searle was editor, was deputy editor of Grand Designs magazine and Real Homes. She freelanced for a number of homes magazines for several years and is now on her third stint at Real Homes as magazine editor.
Laura Crombie, Brand Development Editor, Real Homes
Laura started out as a newspaper reporter, then was editor of a regional magazine, and editorial manager for a travel company (who doesn’t love a free holiday?). She started at Real Homes magazine in 2015 as Deputy Editor and then become Editor before taking on her current position, which focuses on video and events (you may have seen her presenting Real Homes TV). She's renovated a buy-to-let property and is about to tackle a 1960s gem. As for expertise, she's an all-rounder.
Jennifer Oksien, Appliances Editor, Real Homes
Jennifer is our resident appliances expert, testing, reviewing and writing about everything from washing machines to coffee makers. Before she worked with us, she also worked at John Lewis, creating content for their website. It was there that she made the break into tech and appliances; writing those product descriptions we heavily rely on for making informed purchase decisions, and an array of supporting editorial to help narrow down the choices.
Sarah Warwick, Contributing Editor, Real Homes
Sarah is a freelance journalist and editor writing for websites, national newspapers, and magazines. She’s spent most of her journalistic career specialising in homes – long enough to see fridges become smart, decorating fashions embrace both minimalism and maximalism, and interiors that blur the indoor/outdoor link become a must-have. She loves testing the latest home appliances, revealing the trends in furnishings and fittings for every room, and investigating the benefits, costs and practicalities of home improvement. It's no big surprise that she likes to put what she writes about into practice, and is a serial house revamper. For Realhomes.com, Sarah reviews coffee machines and vacuum cleaners, to name but a few must-have household items, taking them through their paces at home to give us an honest, real life review and comparison of every model.
Linda Clayton, Contributing Editor, Real Homes
Linda is a freelance journalist who has specialised in homes and interiors for the past 19 years, beginning on a trade rag for the Daily Mail Group and now writing full-time for the likes of Homes & Gardens, Livingetc, Country Homes & Interiors, and of course Real Homes. Linda is our resident mattress reviewer. She spends at least a week on every mattress she tests for us, as does her ever-patient husband. In reviewing mattresses for us for more than a year, she has become something of a very opinionated expert. That's not all, though. Linda is an expert on everything kitchen-related, from appliances to cabinetry (it helps that her husband is a cabinet maker, of course).
Verity Burns, Contributing Editor, Real Homes
Verity Burns is our smart home tech expert. She has been writing about technology for over a decade, and spends a lot of time tinkering with the latest in smart home tech for The Hub section of Realhomes.com. You may even spot her chatting about smart home best buys and top tips on The Real Homes Show (you can check that out here).
Find out more about the Real Homes team on our About Us page.