Looking for a healthy breakfast recipe that does not require MasterChef level cooking skills? Or, even better, no cooking skills whatsoever? We sympathise: elaborate cooking is the last thing anyone wants to do early in the morning. Still, a cooked breakfast is just so much nicer and more nutritious than just a slice of toast.
This recipe is super easy, super healthy – it's basically eggs and vegetables – and it goes brilliantly with toast. There's no need for lots of cookware, either; you just need a very good quality skillet. We like Le Creuset ones, because they're so sturdy and truly non-stick, but any hefty cast iron skillet will do. Check out our Le Creuset deals for an affordable find. And if you need a whole range of new cookware, don't miss our latest Black Friday deals.
You will need:
- 4 large eggs;
- One onion, diced;
- Cherry tomatoes, 300 grams
- Rapeseed oil, a tablespoon;
- Concentrated tomato paste, a squirt;
- Sweet red chillies, two;
- Spring onion, chopped, 50 grams;
- Coriander, roughly chopped, 25 grams;
- Salt, to taste
- Worcestershire sauce, a dash (optional)
How to make this healthy breakfast recipe:
1. Begin by sautéing the onion in the rapeseed oil; it should soften but not change colour.
2. Next, add the tomatoes, chilli, and the tomato paste; spread the paste evenly among the tomatoes. Cook on medium heat for about five minutes.
3. Then, add the eggs, breaking them carefully on top the tomatoes. When they begin to set, stir everything gently and cover the whites with the tomatoes, allowing the yolks to peep through. Cook for another five minutes.
4. Garnish with spring onion and coriander and serve with bread of you choice (we like sourdough or flat breads)..
Optional extras: for a protein-rich breakfast, add a drained tin of mixed beans to the mixture (note that you will need to use more salt in that case). For a more piquant taste, add some Worcestershire sauce.