Whether it’s plastic water bottles, straws, food packaging or carrier bags, it’s hard to escape the ever-increasing amounts of plastic we use in our day-to-day lives.
However, with shocking stats estimating that there are more than five trillion pieces of plastic waste in our oceans – enough to circle the globe five times – it’s clear that plastic pollution is an issue that has an impact on us all.
To help you take your plastic recycling to the next level, SodaStream has come up with 10 simple hacks so you can start reducing your plastic household waste today.
1. Instead of buying milk in a plastic bottle, why not go old school and have milk delivered to your doorstep in a reusable glass bottle instead? Milk round deliveries are on the up as people look for alternatives to their usual plastic containers. Find a delivery in your area at Find Me A Milkman
2. Try to avoid shopping online for groceries as you’ll have very little control over the amount of packaging, not to mention the number of plastic bags your shopping may turn up in.
3. Select cheese wrapped in wax rather than plastic. Your local deli will often offer a wider choice and create less waste than a supermarket.
4. You never know when you might need to pop into your local shop for a few items on the way home from work, so make sure you’ve always got a reusable shopper in your bag or car so you can avoid buying a 5p plastic carrier bag.
5. Swap your liquid soap in a plastic bottle for a bar of soap instead, cutting down on your single-use plastic usage.
6. Shop for fruit and veg at your local market instead of the supermarket, swapping goods packaged in plastic for fresh items in brown paper bags that can be easily recycled.
7. Buy a reusable coffee cup to take to your coffee shop for them to fill up.
8. You might be surprised to learn that even tea bags contain plastic, so switch to loose leaf tea for your daily cuppas instead.
9. Keep leftover food fresh by storing it in reusable tupperware rather than wrapping it in clingfilm.
10. Instead of buying sparkling water in single-use bottles, invest in a SodaStream Spirit so you can create sparkling water straight from the tap in a reusable bottle.