Content supplied by Underfloor Heating 1
Underfloor heating (UFH) is an energy efficient way of heating rooms, and can be a replacement for radiators which are inefficient and take up a lot of room.
Wet UFH is being installed in a lot of new homes as a way of heating them efficiently whilst giving the homeowner freedom to furnish.
But what if your home is not a new build? What if your home is an older property?
The problem most wet UFH systems have is the massive upheaval of your floor. The system’s profile is too high to be laid over existing flooring, often increasing floor height by at least 60mm (due to the concrete screed that is poured over the system). This can be a huge problem when it comes to retro-fitting underfloor heating systems in older properties as it’s simply not cost effective.
There is the option of utilising the electric UFH mat/cable systems which have a lower profile than wet UFH systems and are easier to install in older properties. However, they lack the economic efficiency that wet UFH systems offer. So now you’re stuck in a catch twenty two situation, either installing an electric UFH system that is cheaper to install but will cost you a lot more money to run in the long term. Or, installing a Wet UFH system that will cost you a lot more to install, may raise your floor to a level you’re unhappy with, yet will save you money in the long term, as it is the more efficient system. So, what’s your decision …?
Well there is a third option, you can now buy retro fit overlay boards that allow you to lay underfloor heating over existing flooring, without drastically increasing the floor height. The RENOV18 and RENOL1TE boards can be easily retro fitted into many old properties, giving you the best of both systems – the ease of installation of electric systems and the efficiency of wet systems.
The RENOV18 Fermacell Gypsum fibre boards are a homogenous composition of gypsum and cellulose fibres, recycled from waste paper and water. The main advantage these boards offer is the fact that the profile is very low around the same height as a 5p coin (18mm). The RENOl1TE boards are manufactured from extruded polystyrene and have a slightly higher height of 28mm.
Utilising RENOV18 and RENOL1TE overlay boards in the installation process is very different to traditional installation methods. Traditional methods use concrete screed which is poured over the pipes, this can raise the floor height by at least 60mm and can increase the installation time as you have to wait for the screed to set. This makes the retro-fit boards highly beneficial to those wanting to not tear up existing floor, while maintaining a low floor height.
There are a number of other advantages to the RENOV18 and RENOL1TE overlay boards, including:
- Installed over any floor –This retro-fit system can be installed over any existing concrete or wooden floor.
- Versatile –An ideal partner for all heat sources including heat pumps, gas, oil, LPG, condensing boilers and Biomass boilers. It will also work alongside an existing radiator system and also integrate into any heating system.
- Installed in any room – Suitable for installation in any room type, including conservatories!
- Installed in any home – Ideal for installation in new-builds, renovation and retro-fit projects.
- Installed on any floor – The system can be installed on ground and upper floors of buildings.
- Installed with any floor type – Any floor can be laid over the system, including carpet, vinyl and linoleum.
- Floating floors – Laminates, real wood and engineered floors can be fitted as a “floating floor” directly over the panel (RENOV18 only).
- Replaces radiators – There is no need for supplementary heating, this allows rooms to be furnished with freedom, and saves space.
- No need to excavate the floor – The retro-fit system provides a solution for projects where excavation of the floor is too expensive or intrusive.
- Rapid heat up – There is no need to feel frustrated waiting for the floor to heat up, as the boards transmit heat efficiently resulting in floor that heats up a lot quicker than with a concrete screed conductor.
- High thermal output – RENOV18 = up to 125W/m², RENOL1TE= up to 100W/m²
- Directly tiled over – The dense, rigid, boards can be tiled over directly with just a thin de-coupling layer (mesh) in-between.
- Solid – The RENOV18 system feels solid underfoot, and can provide sound deadening on timber upper floors by adding mass – 15.5kg/m².
- Reduced installation time – Installation time is greatly reduced compared to concrete screed systems, which often take a long time to set.