Make sure you have the right insurance when renovating

Property and finance expert Jennifer Newton explains what type of insurance you need when renovating your home, including building insurance and Accidental Damage insurance.

Jennifer Newton explains what cover you need when renovating your home.

How can I ensure that I have adequate cover?

Before you allow any contractor to carry out work on your property, Tracey Warren, insurance advisor at The Listed Property Owners Club (, advises that you should always ask to see their Public Liability insurance to check that they’re insured adequately. Any damage caused directly by a contractor, or as a result of faulty workmanship, would generally be their responsibility and payable by them or their insurance company.

Do you claim on contents or building insurance?

What does Accidental Damage insurance cover?

What should I look out for when buying insurance?